Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tri swims are not a liesure activity

I think there is a myth, perhaps perpetuated by (misinterpretations of?) the 'total immersion' school of swim instruction, that a good swim should not feel like a lot of effort. Bologna! When I am swimming fast, I know it, I feel it. It isn't a leisurely paced recreational swim, but a race, baby! I'm pushing it. Of course I maintain good form, but good form and power/speed are complementary, not in opposition.

Thank goodness I took the powerstroke class with Marty Gaal where he spent a lot of time humorously criticizing those who like to act like the swim portion of a tri should be a leisurely thing. Do you think the people finishing in the top three are having a relaxing leisurely swim? No, they are redlining baby. They are pushing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?